We provide free legal assistance to the members of our affiliates, including advice and representation before the courts in fulfilling and protecting rights pertaining to the employment relationship.
Legal assistance is provided by the UATUC’s legal advisors, who are professional trade unionists and lawyers dealing with labour law and the legal protection of trade union members.
Free legal assistance in the area of labour relations includes:
• consultation on the rights and obligations arising from the employment relationship including occupational health and safety, and health and pension insurance;
• preparation of requests for the protection of workers’ rights;
• mediation in attempts to resolve disputes peacefully;
• evaluation of the state of disputes and assessment of the chances of success in their resolution; and
• representation before the courts in employment disputes, including drafting lawsuits and other submissions and preparing regular and extraordinary legal remedies.
More than 90 per cent of the labour disputes we handle on behalf of the members of our affiliates end with a final judgement in favour of workers.
The UATUC’s legal advisors can additionally represent members of affiliated trade unions in enforcement and bankruptcy proceedings.
Furthermore, in order to exercise the social rights of workers, UATUC legal advisors can represent the members of affiliated unions in administrative proceedings before other public bodies such as the Croatian Pension Insurance Institute (HZMO), the Croatian Health Insurance Fund (HZZO), the Croatian Institute of Public Health (HZJZ) and others.
Shop stewards, members of works councils and health and safety representatives are also able to turn to the UATUC legal department for advice and support in their day-to-day work.